Fire element is represented by four organs in the body, in comparison to two organs that represent every other one of the Five Elements. This goes to show the importance of finding balance within our Fire element to find overall ease in our existence. Fire element in Nature is embodied by the Sun and its ruling of the cyclical movements of day and seasons. In the body, the Heart beats to create a similar rhythm for being.
Heart disharmony in the body can present in the body as: palpitations, pale face, speech problems, poor circulation, insomnia, menstrual problems, infertility, and aversion to heat.
The Heart’s spirit, or Shen, mirrors the function of the ventral vagus nerve, relating to our capacity for intimacy, vulnerability, and connection with others, as well as our ability to access consciousness, thinking, and a balance of emotions. When the Heart is in imbalance, every organ system is called to arousal. In hyperarousal, the Fire element can present in panic attacks, mania, insomnia, dark humor, and racing thoughts. In hypoarousal, it can cause flat emotions, dissociation, difficulty connecting, and poor focus+memory.
The gifts of the Fire element in the body include having high spirits, easeful social interactions, a healthy sexual expression, as well as feeling centered and connected to ourselves and the universe at large. Here’s some inspiration on finding ease and connecting with the Fire in our hearts:
- As Nature exists in its utmost Yang state, surround yourself with the Yin of Water to find balance within. It’s also beach season after all.
- Seek joy. Indulge in beauty. Create for the sake of creating. Tap into the energy of the season to support your thirst for life.
- Fire element exists and finds harmony within the context of relationships. Cultivate capacity within for authentic connections with others. Cut out the unnecessary engagement (ie. social media) to shift your focus on what is genuine.
- Check in with your Mind and Heart to see where they are at, and what they need. Here are some questions to ponder upon during Fire season:
Can experience joy?
Can I find love within myself and with other beings?
Do I feel a sparkle and light in my body? Can I communicate it to my community? Can I see it in my eyes when I look in the mirror?
Are my social interactions easeful? Can I connect with other humans, animals, and plants?
Do my relationships feel loving and supportive?
Can my mind rest at night? Can I fall and stay asleep? If not, what may be causing this?
What is the nature of my sexual expression? Can I allow intimacy and pleasure?
Can I love in the face of heartbreak?
- Acupuncture can aid with nervous system regulation, as well as tuning our bodies to the Fire season. If you are experiencing anxiety, a scattered mind, insomnia, difficulty connecting with others, or simply needing preventative care, please reach out to a licensed TCM Acupuncturist, Practitioner, or Doctor in your community.
- You can find me at Island Optimal Health + Performance (Rutherford Location) on Monday, Tuesday and Thursdays.